Thursday, March 1, 2012

Tweethis Statement follow-up

Monday near Provo
I finally received some excellent feedback from some of my facebook friends.  I'm a little late in posting these on my blog but they actually helped me a lot in my idea development for my paper.
 ·  · 
    • Chris-Allie Middleton How will studying authors that pre-date Shakespeare help widen and improve the source of inspiration for filmmakers and modern story tellers? A thesis needs to be direct and specific. I am no English major but it seems vague. What English level is this class?
    • Josh Cutler thanks for the feedback, I had write the thesis in 140 characters because it went on twitter as well. That's making it difficult to reach the level of specificity that I want.
    • Nate Middleton Don't listen to Chris. Listen to me
    • Josh Cutler Okay, I believe Nate.
    • Parker Walbeck Well Josh, as we all know it wasn't actually Shakespeare that wrote anything at all, but rather just the one who took credit for the plays written by the other dude in that movie we watched. So no, your thesis is skewed.
    • Michael Miles Seems a little obvious to me maybe. If you study more people than shakespeare, then you will obviously have more inspiration for making adaptations simply because there is more stuff to get ideas from. The "better" ideas part sounds a little more arguable. Maybe you could go along the lines of "Those who don't look to pre-shakespearean works for ideas lack these specific benefits __________ because shakespeare only wrote about certain things/is not all inclusive in his ideas" something like that. It is a stronger sounding argument to say that shakespeare lacks certain things than it is to that you will have more ideas with more sources. I hope that made sense.
    • Michael Miles PS do you have Dr Burton? This sounds like his doings.
    • Laura Ann McArthur Are you saying that because Shakespeare had such a large impact on the English language that subsequent authors echo Shakespearean element? -Daniel McArthur
      Tuesday at 3:15pm via mobile · 
    • Josh Cutler No, what I'm saying is that there are over 450 films that are either adapted or based upon Shakespeare plays. Screen writers have worked and reworked shakespeare's stories yet Shakespeare himself took a large portion of his work from the earlier work of poets, authors, and historians who included elements of fiction in their accounts. The point is that it seems like there is a lot of untapped literature that filmmakers could use for fresh ideas instead of just changing or reworking what Shakespeare wrote.

No comments:

Post a Comment