Thursday, March 8, 2012

Cortnie's paper response

So I read Cortnie's paper and thought there were some very interesting ideas but I also saw some of the challenges I am facing with turning my paper into a creative project.  I have yet to read and respond to Jake's paper (sorry brother) but I will get to it and post a response to him as well.  Here is my response to Cortnie:

Hey Cortnie, I read your paper and your ideas about you could turn your academic essay into a piece of fanfiction.  I guess I am pretty confused about how we can turn our scholarly essays into something like that (that is kind of what Professor Burton suggested for my essay).  The academic papers do not have plot, characters, or setting and the only thing that I can think of would be to make that stuff up and then create dialogue between the characters discussing the main points of my paper.  What I really wanted to do was put the claim I made in my thesis into practice (try a modern adaptation of a Shakespeare play into film) which is something that you have already done with you Shakespeare fanfiction page.  I am just discussing my problems about the creative essay but if you are having the same problems then we can brainstorm together.  The only thing from you actual paper that might need some clarification is your assertion in your conclusion that "With this freedom, amateur authors develop a more pronounced method of interpretation towards Shakespeare, able to perform in-depth character creation (and thus analysis) and adaptation that points towards a scholarly nature. What amateur fanfiction writers are today will eventually become the professional scholars and adapters of tomorrow."   How is character creation the same as in-depth character analysis? How does it point towards a scholarly nature? (there is a lot of creativity but the examples you provided usually ignored key aspects of Shakespeare's plays and/or characters).  I can see how the amateur fanfiction writers could become prominent adapters in popular mediums such as the novel or film (or are you arguing that fanfiction itself will become the popular medium of tommorrow?) but I do not see how they will make the jump into the academic arena.

No comments:

Post a Comment