Monday, March 26, 2012

Market Research

So I have been wondering how I could do market research for my idea because other than the short video that Jake and I did explaining our project I don't have anything finished yet.  What I decided to do was figure out who our potential audience might be and then go find people in that audience and discuss the idea with them.  Since our idea has to do with film and ways to bring Shakespeare and all literature and creative writing into film in a better, more significant way I figured the best person to talk to would be a student from the film program.  I remembered that a friend that I roomed with my freshman year was in the program so I sought him out and explained the idea.  Here are some of the points that he brought up:

  • There is a lack of talented writing in the film program because the students are trained on how to write.
  • He agreed that short films are emerging as a dominant sub-genre in film.
  • The youtube generation is becoming unsatisfied with the unprofessional quality of their videos and are seeking to improve their editing skills and video quality.
  • Since the early 2000's the independent film movement has changed dramatically the way that Hollywood makes movies, resulting in a greater focus on varied shot selection, improved writing, improved acting, and more creative cinematography.  (there are exceptions obviously).
  • He envisions a day when the film and English programs work hand in hand to create collaborative visual narratives.
Talking it over with him I became excited about the work that Jake and I have already started and I hope that by turning our academic papers into a more creative personal essay and then turning them into a short video could open the door of academic research to a greater audience.  By discussing themes in a short video that are usually reserved for a scholarly journal article, we will increase the chances that people outside of English students or teachers will see it and thus give our work greater influence and purpose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment