Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Tempest

So I started the Tempest and so far my reactions have been mixed.  There have been parts of the dialog that have struck me as very clever and funny but there is a lot of the dialog that seems strange to me.  I know that the weird stuff is probably just weird to me because the old English went over my head so I will just focus on the stuff I liked.  I really liked the exchange between the boatswain and the kings men on the ship.
Boatswain
When the sea is. Hence! What cares these roarers
for the name of king? To cabin: silence! trouble us not.
GONZALO
Good, yet remember whom thou hast aboard.
Boatswain
None that I more love than myself. You are a
counsellor; if you can command these elements to
silence, and work the peace of the present, we will
not hand a rope more; use your authority: if you
cannot, give thanks you have lived so long, and make
yourself ready in your cabin for the mischance of
the hour, if it so hap. Cheerly, good hearts! Out
of our way, I say....

Boatswain

Down with the topmast! yare! lower, lower! Bring
her to try with main-course.
A cry within
A plague upon this howling! they are louder than
the weather or our office.
Re-enter SEBASTIAN, ANTONIO, and GONZALO
Yet again! what do you here? Shall we give o'er
and drown? Have you a mind to sink?
SEBASTIAN
A pox o' your throat, you bawling, blasphemous,
incharitable dog!
Boatswain
Work you then.
I liked how Shakespeare presents the idea that nobility means nothing in a life and death situation.  For a civilization where worth and rank are inherited at birth it seems interesting that a peasant would disregard all of it when his life is at risk.

1 comment:

  1. I think it makes sense that a peasant would disregard the idea of nobility even without facing death! If I was a peasant, I definitely would not want to be reminded every day that I had no rank and therefore no worth. :)

    ReplyDelete