Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Shylock and other infamous characters

In some of the internet sites that I have visited to learn more about The Merchant of Venice I have found that although Shylock is not the the title character of the play, he certainly is more talked about.  I believe it is because he is so unfair in his treatment of Antonio that he fills the reader with a sense of righteous indignation.  But even so I thought it was interesting that he would controversial enough to spark so much debate.  I also thought it was interesting what Professor Burton said about how much the reading of this play has changed since the Holocaust.  With these two things in mind I looked for some scholarly input and found kind of a weird paper discussing Shylock and Shakespeare in the 21st century (Shocked Shylock: Neoliberalism, Postcommunism, and 21st-Century Shakespeare).  I found the ideas in this article were original and very interesting.  Here is the the reference for the article:

Marcela, Kostihova.  Shocked Shylock: Neoliberalism, Postcommunism, and 21st-Century Shakespeare.  Early English Studies vol. 4 p 1-22. 2011.

2 comments:

  1. that is really interesting. What exactly did it say about the connection to Shylock?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, what ideas were presented? I'm like super curious now. you did the whole set up and then left me hanging! :)

    ReplyDelete