Friday, February 3, 2012

Words invented by Shakespeare

As my previous post mentioned, I am very interested in discovering how original Shakespeare really was.  I have always thought that Shakespeare was the king of originality.  He is credited with inventing over 1700 words.  Many of our movies contain, if they are not completely based upon, key Shakespeare plot elements.  As I have looked at different blogs I have been intrigued by the influences that pre-dated Shakespeare's time.  So trying to take this further I found a site that contained some of the words that have been attributed to Shakespeare: http://www.shakespeare-online.com/biography/wordsinvented.html . With this and other sites that contain Shakespearean phrases I will try to do some research to discover if any of them have an origin before Shakespeare.

1 comment:

  1. This might interest you. And Rod Marsden might be a good guy to try to contact for your research.

    http://ptbertram.wordpress.com/2012/02/03/a-cooks-tour-of-the-english-language-by-rod-marsden-part-i/

    ReplyDelete